Sometimes I just love the ease of a bar cookie like these chocolate chip peanut butter oatmeal bars. There is no need to scoop and cook several trays of cookies. Just spread it all into a pan and let it bake.
You can also get a texture with a bar cookie that you can’t always accomplish with a regular cookie. With bars, the result can be a more tender and/or chewy consistency.
This bar cookie recipe I have for you today combines the flavors of 3 cookies – chocolate chip, peanut butter, and oatmeal. Not only are these a delicious combination of cookies, but these bars are super soft and will say that way for days!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cups brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 pkg semi-sweet chocolate chips, set aside 1/2 cup for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, brown sugar, and sugar together with a mixer for several minutes. Add peanut butter and beat together until smooth.
- Add in eggs one at a time and blending after each one.
- in another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add this to the creamed mixture and mix until just combined.
- Mix in the oats and chocolate chips (with the exception of the 1/2 cup that is reserved) until just combined.
- Spread into a 13×9 greased pan. Sprinkle the reserved 1/2 cup chocolate chips on top and bake for 25-30 minutes until just light brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Don’t over-bake for best results.
- Allow to cool, then cut into bars and store in an airtight container. Makes 24 bars.
Recipe adapted from The Baking Chocolatess.