Nothing beats a good, classic chocolate chip cookie. There are so many versions out there. This recipe comes from my husbands family. I made these cookies with him several times before we got married and since we got married it’s my go to recipe for chocolate chip cookies.
I like this recipe because it uses both brown and granulated sugar plus butter and shortening. This cookie would be a great addition to any Memorial weekend barbecue.
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup butter (or you can use margarine)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 (12 oz) bag chocolate chips
- Cream butter, shortening, and sugars together. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- Add soda, salt, and flour and mix until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Bake at 375 on an ungreased cookie sheet for 8 to 10 minutes. Makes about 4 dozen
This is the original photo from this post. The above photo was updated in January 2015.