Many of you know how much my family LOVES Mexican food. So, I really can never have enough recipes. I think part of the reason we like most Mexican dishes is because you can personalize it with toppings. Nachos are always a welcomed dinner at my home like these Chili Con Carne Nachos.
I recently tried these nachos that are topped with an easy chili con carne which is made in the slow cooker! It is another great “throw and go” dish. Just toss it all in the slow cooker and leave it until dinner. These really are the best meals. No beans are included in this chili but you could easily add a can of your favorite beans if you want to.
The secret to the amazing chili con carne is apple butter. That’s right, apple butter is the secret ingredient! It gives it a nice richness and sweetness. The meat ends up covered in a nice flavorful thick sauce. This meat would also be excellent on a salad. Or it would be wonderful placed in an enchilada or burrito. This recipe will now be making a regular appearance for our family dinners. It was delish!Print
- 2–2 1/2 lbs. beef chuck roast
- 1 (15 oz) can red enchilada sauce
- 3/4 cup apple butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper,optional if you want a little more heat
- tortilla chips
- shredded cheese
- desired toppings such as – diced avocado, diced tomatoes, salsa, sliced olives, diced green onion, chopped cilantro, sour cream, and guacamole
- Pour the enchilada sauce and apple butter into the slow cooker.
- Place the beef roast in the sauce and top with the diced onions, garlic, salt and red pepper.
- Cover and turn the crock-pot on high for 4-5 hours or low for 8-9 hours , until the beef is falling apart.
- Shred beef in the slow cooker and prepare nachos.
- Create a plate or dish of nachos by placing chip on a plate or on a baking sheet and sprinkle with cheese. Microwave plate until cheese is melted or place baking sheet in a preheated 350 degree oven and bake until cheese is melted.
- Top chips with meat mixture from the slow cooker followed by desired toppings. Serves 10.
Recipe adapted from A Spicy Perspective.