This post may contain affiliate links.
It’s chili season and I love a good bowl of chili! There’s just something about a pipping hot bowl of chili on a cool fall day! Recipe mash ups have kind of been a trend lately in the food world and I have taken that concept to give you a new twist on chili today. I put the chili cheese dog in the chili!
These is no bun here, but everything else that you would expect from a chili cheese dog, is in a bowl of this chili. There is no worries about mess either because it’s all eaten with a bowl and a spoon.
One key ingredient in this chili is Bush’s chili beans. These chili beans are full of flavor already. They offer the chili beans in a variety of beans and levels of heat. I use mild for my family but feel free to up the spice level if you like some heat. I also used te pinto bean variety for this chili.
The other great part about this recipe is that it simmers in the slow cooker. You do have to brown some beef with some onion first, but then it’s just easy peezey after that.
For the dog part of the chili, you want to make sure and use a good all beef frank. Then you can also top of the bowl of this chili with traditional chili dog toppings – cheese and fresh diced onion! If you are a chili cheese dog fan, then you will LOVE this chili recipe.
Chili Cheese Dog Chili
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 diced onion
- 2 (15 oz) cans of Bush’s mild chili beans (I used mild pinto beans)
- 2 (15 oz) cans petitie diced tomatoes
- 1 (10 3/4 oz) can cheddar cheese soup
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
- 2 Tbsp bbq sauce
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 6 all beef franks, cut in half lengthwise and then sliced
- shredded cheddar cheese and diced onion for garnish
- In a skillet, brown beef with onion until fully cooked. Drain off any excess grease.
- Add the ground beef mixture to a slow cooker along with the chili beans, dice tomatoes, cheddar cheese soup, green chilies, bbq sauce, chili powder, and cumin. Stir together and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Add in the beef franks. Stir to combine and cook for 30 more minutes.
- Serve topped with cheddar cheese and diced onion. Serves 8-10.
Recipe inspired from The Gracious Wife but is a Real Mom Kitchen original.