My daughter loves mashed potatoes and gravy and is thrilled whenever I make it as part of our meal. Today’s Southern Hamburger Steak with Gravy recipe has that and this gravy is full of flavor.
You can serve the patties and gravy with some hot mashed potatoes. This is one of those great comfort dishes that I crave at this time of year.
- For the Hamburger Steaks:
- 1–1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tsp of seasoned salt
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- black pepper to taste
- 1 cup flour
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- For the Gravy:
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp seasonen salt
- black pepper
- 1/2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp Kitchen Bouquet or other brand of browning sauce
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- In a bowl, combine beef, egg, bread crumbs, salt, onion, garlic powder, and pepper. Then shape into 6 patties.
- Dip each patty in the 1 cup of flour so both sides are well coated.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and place each of the patties in the pan. Cook until browned on both sides.
- Now it’s time for the gravy. Add in the sliced onions to the skillet with the pan drippings. Add in a tablespoon of water, and cook over medium heat until lightly caramelized.
- In a bowl, whisk together the beef broth, water, 1/4 cup of flour, season salt, pepper, Worcestershire and Kitchen Bouquet until well combined.
- Pour this mixture into the skillet with the onions and stir constantly, until mixture begins to thicken.
- Return hamburger steaks to the skillet, turning a few times to coat each side with the gravy.
- Add in your sliced mushrooms, then reduce heat to a low simmer. Cook, covered, for about 20 minutes turning the patties every 5 minutes to keep them coated well and help mix in the mushrooms.
- Serve patties and gravy with mashed potatoes. Serves 6.
Recipe adapted from My Incredible Recipes.