It was my birthday this weekend and I decided to save my night out for when the new Twilight movie comes out. Since we were going to be home for my birthday, I wanted to have something that I like for dinner. So, I decided to make my Aunt’s recipe for Heavenly Chicken Tetrazzini with sour cream and mushrooms. The mushrooms are big enough I figure the rest of my family can just pick them out, since they don’t LOVE them like me.
This heavenly chicken tetrazzini with sour cream is similar to a fettuccine alfredo, but you has that sour cream to the sauce also. This recipe is full of calories, so it’s something I make occasionally. It is so worth the occasional splurge though. It’s heavenly!
It starts by sautéing the mushrooms and green onion in some butter in a skillet. Then you set them aside.
In a sauce pan, you combine some butter, flour, and whipping cream. Cook it until it starts to thicken. Then remove from the heat and mix in the sour cream plus salt and pepper to taste.
Next, mix the sauce with cooked egg noodles, cooked chicken, and the mushrooms/green onion mixture you set aside.
Now place half of the mixture into a 9×13 pan and top with half of the Parmesan cheese. Next, top with remaining noodle mixture and top with remaining Parmesan cheese. Then bake at 300 for 45 minutes. Now it’s time to enjoy creamy noodle heaven!
- GREEN ONIONS
- FRESH MUSHROOM
- WHIPPING CREAM OR HALF AND HALF
- SOUR CREAM
- CHICKEN BREASTS
- EGG NOODLES
- SALT AND PEPPER
- PARMESAN CHEESE
Real Mom Kitchen
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 6 green onions chopped
- 8 oz of fresh mushrooms sliced
- ¾ cup butter
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 2 ½ cups whipping cream or half and half
- 1 ½ cups sour cream I do use light sour cream
- 4 chicken breasts cooked and cubed
- 1 12 oz package of egg noodles, cooked according to package
- salt and pepper
- 3 oz Parmesan cheese the stuff in the green can just won’t do, ya gotta have the real stuff
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a skillet, saute the mushrooms and green onion in 2 Tbsp. butter and set aside.
- Combine 3/4 cup butter, flour, and whipping cream in a sauce pan. Cook over medium heat. Cook until it starts to thicken then remove from the heat and mix in the sour cream plus salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix sauce with noodles, chicken, and mushrooms/green onion mixture.
- Put half of the noodle mixture into a 9×13 pan and top with half of the Parmesan cheese. Then top with remaining noodle mixture and top with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 300 for 45 minutes. Serves 8.
This is the original photo from this post. The above photo was updated in February 2014.