This post may contain affiliate links.
Don’t you think that the best cooks know how to utilize any ingredients placed in front of them? No matter what ingredients they may have, they can turn it into something amazing like a Chicken Chile Relleno Bake.
Well, now you can test your chops in a Chopped At Home Challenge with Sargento®! As part of this challenge, I was asked
to create a recipe within a theme and using all of the secret “basket” ingredients. Of course, that basket included Sargento Shredded Cheese product. It’s available in 30 versatile varieties, unique blends and distinct cuts. I love that Sargento Shredded Cheese is always cut from blocks of 100% real, natural cheese.
My Chopped Basket
With my basket, I was specifically asked to follow a them of Mexican and use their 4 Cheese Mexican Blend. This happens to be one of my favorite varieties. My family loves Mexican food and I use the blend of cheese often when making a meal.
Additionally, there was 3 other ingredients in my basket – corn tortillas, Poblano peppers, and chicken thighs. Actually, I was really excited when I say these ingredients. I immediately saw the Pablano pepper in the ingredients and thought some kind of version of a chile relleno.
Then, I came up with the idea of layers of the corn tortillas to surround the chicken, pepper, and that wonderful Sargento 4 Cheese Mexican Blend. With a few other ingredients, I knew that this could be an amazing dish and it was!
However, I did run into one problem when shopping for my ingredients to make this dish. I couldn’t find a Pablano pepper. After my attempt to find one at several local grocery stores, I finally decided to opt for a Anaheim pepper as my ingredient. It would be similar to the Pablano and work great for what I had planned.
Now it’s your turn!
You can also participate in this Chopped at Home Challenge with Sargento. Submit your own recipe to FoodNetwork.com Chopped Challenge for the chance to win $5,000 and a trip to New York City to compete in a televised Chopped cooking challenge for a $10,000 grand prize! Who won’t love that! Come on and enter yourself.
For more inspiration, check out the Sargento Pinterest page Pinterest.com/sargentocheese/ or visit www.sargento.com/Shredded for more information.
Chicken Chile Relleno Bake
- 1 Pablano or Anaheim pepper
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 chicken thighs, removed of excess fat and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 2 cups Sargento 4 Cheese Mexican Blend shredded cheese, divided
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- salsa for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees,
- On a oil line baking sheet, place the pepper and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Once cooked, remove from the oven and cover completely with a bowl. I use a glass bowl. This will now stream the pepper and make it easy to remove the skin.
- Remove the skin from the pepper followed by the stem and seeds. Dice up the pepper and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a skillet add the oil and over medium heat, cook the chicken and onion until fully cooked. Then add in the garlic and cook for a minute until fragrant. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Grease a 12 inch oven safe skillet or 9 x 13 inch baking pan. line the bottom of the pan with half of the corn tortillas followed by half the cheese.
- Then spread the chicken mixture over the layer of cheese and sprinkle with half of the chopped pepper. Place another layer of the corn tortillas on top.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, pepper, cumin, and oregano. Pour over the tortillas in the dish. The sprinkle with the remaining cheese and Pablano pepper.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes until golden and center is set. Allow to cool for 15 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve topped with a little salsa. Serves 8.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Sargento. The opinions and text are all mine.