Did you know that carbonated drinks are a great meat tenderizer? Yep, an acid is needed to tenderize. A lot of times this is done with citrus juice, but soda also has acid content.
You get another bonus when using soda with meat. Not only does it tenderize the meat but it also adds flavor. My 3 favorites to use are Coke, Sprite, and Gingerale.
I decided to try to use Cherry Coke recently and made this fabulous Cherry Coke Carnitas dish! I used the meat in tacos but it would work great with just about any Mexican dish! You only need 4 ingredients for this dish plus salt and pepper.
It is also made in the slow cooker so that also helps make the meat moist and tender. Give it a try!
Cherry Coke Carnitas
Real Mom Kitchen
- 2 ½ -3 lb beef roast
- salt and pepper
- 1 12 oz can or 1 1/2 cups Cherry Coke (don't use Diet)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- Season the beef roast with salt and pepper and place in your slow cooker.
- Pour the Cherry Coke and broth around the roast. The sprinkle with minced garlic.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours until tender.
- Remove roast and shred.
- Remove cooking liquid from the crock pot reserving about 1/2 cup.
- Place roast back in the crock pot adding a couple Tbsp of the reserving liquid. Mix to add the liquid to the meat. Add more of the reserved liquid if needed. You just want the meat to me nice and moist. Serves 6-8
Recipe adapted from She Knows.