This homemade cheeseburger macaroni recipe is a simple yet family pleasin’ meal. My family is an avid fan of hamburger helper, me – not so much.
Think of this Cheeseburger Macaroni recipe as a homemade hamburger helper, but so much better than the stuff from a box. This version is more of what I like! Creamy and cheesy pasta with ground beef along with a hint of spice – a meal perfect for winter or fall.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE Cheeseburger Macaroni
- GROUND BEEF
- TACO SEASONING
- MILD RO*TEL
- BEEF BROTH
- ELBOW MACARONI
- SHARP CHEDDAR CHEESE
How to Make Cheeseburger Macaroni
Sauté some ground beef and onion in a large skillet over medium heat until beef is fully cooked. Then drain off any grease.
Next, add in taco seasoning, Rotel tomatoes, beef broth, and macaroni. Stir together until combined and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cover pan. Simmer 12-14 mins until macaroni is tender.
Meanwhile, melt the butter in a saucepan. Whisk in the flour and cook 2 minutes until fragrant and light brown in color.
Slowly whisk in the milk and bring to a boil. Cook while whisking until smooth and thickened to the consistency of gravy.
Remove from heat and blend in the shredded cheddar cheese until melted. Add the salt and pepper to the cheesy sauce. Pour the cheese sauce over the cooked hamburger/noodle mixture. Stir gently to combine.
This homemade hamburger helper cheeseburger macaroni dish is a perfect meal for those busy weeknights. I’m sure it will become a family favorite.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use a different type of pasta for Cheeseburger Macaroni?
Yes, you can substitute the recommended pasta with your favorite shape. Shells or rotini also work well with this recipe.
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Absolutely! You can prepare the Cheeseburger Macaroni in advance and refrigerate it. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave when ready to serve.
Can I use another type of ground meat for this recipe?
Ground beef is the classic choice, but you can use ground turkey or chicken for a leaner option. Ensure the meat is well-cooked and drained before adding other ingredients.
What kind of cheese is best for Cheeseburger Macaroni?
Cheddar cheese works well for its sharp flavor. However, you can also use a mix of cheeses like Monterey Jack and Colby. This will give you a smoother texture.
Can I use pre-shredded cheese?
Absolutely! Pre-shredded cheese is convenient. For the creamiest texture, we recommend shredding cheese from a block just before using it.
For More Pasta Recipes, Try:
- Skillet Beef and Macaroni
- Homemade Lasagna Hamburger Helper
- Creamy Chicken Noodle Skillet
- Healthy Skillet Lasagna
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- ½ onion diced
- 1-2 Tbsp taco seasoning I use more like 1 Tbsp
- 1 (10 oz) can mild Ro*tel
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- ¾ cup milk
- 4 oz. sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- ½ tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown ground beef and onion; drain off any grease.
- Add taco seasoning, Rotel, beef broth, and macaroni; stir until well blended. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to simmer and cover pan.
- Simmer 12-14 mins until macaroni is tender.
- While the hamburger mixture simmers, melt the 2 Tbsp butter in a saucepan. Whisk in the flour and cook 2 minutes until fragrant and light brown in color.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and bring to a boil. Cook while whisking until smooth and thickened to the consistency of gravy.
- Remove from heat and blend in the shredded cheddar cheese until melted. Add the salt and pepper to the cheese sauce. Pour the cheese sauce over the cooked hamburger mixture. Stir gently to combine.
Recipe adapted from Kevin and Amanda.
This photo is from when this recipe was first posted in September 2011.