If you want a recipe to make for breakfast this weekend, this recipe for buttermilk waffles a good one. It may be a long weekend for some of you who get Monday off. My kiddies will be out of school.
I found this recipe for Buttermilk Waffles from Down Right Delish. In her comments she said that these were better than from a box. I totally agree. My daughter and I loved them. My husband ate them but said he preferred the Tender Sour Cream Waffles that I make.
The texture of this waffle is different from the Tender Sour Cream ones. Those are dense and tender. This waffle recipe is light and fluffy. My oldest son said he didn’t like them at all and that they tasted too eggy. My other son ate 1/2 of a waffle, but didn’t say anything about them.
The waffles come out crisp, but mine didn’t stay crisp. I think if you place them on a cooling rack after removing them from the waffle maker may help to keep that crispness. I also made these in my professional Belgian waffle maker. So I made very large waffles. I did double the recipe and I think I ended up with 11 waffles. We did have leftovers.
I always put my leftover waffles back in the waffle maker to warm them up. Tomorrow I’ll share with you a yummy fruit topping for waffles that I love to make. I made it to put on these waffles and it turned out tasty.
Real Mom Kitchen
- 2 cups flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 ¾ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup milk
- 2 eggs separated
- 4 Tbsp butter melted
- ½ Tbsp vanilla
- to change it up you can always mix in the zest of an orange
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Combine dry ingredients in large bowl and whisk together.
- In a large measuring cup (4-cup Pyrex) or medium bowl combine buttermilk, milk, egg yolks, butter, vanilla and orange zest, if using.
- Whip the egg whites with hand mixer in medium bowl until soft peaks form.
- Pour buttermilk mixture into flour mixture, gently combine until few streaks of flour remain. Do not over beat, batter will be lumpy. Gently fold in whipped egg whites.
- Cook according to your waffle maker.