This post contains affiliate links.
Many times, I can be found reaching for a box of pancake mix I purchased from the store. However, it is really simple to make your own homemade buttermilk pancake mix to keep on hand.
I have shared a pancake mix recipe before, but this is a buttermilk version. Dry powdered buttermilk powder is part of the mix. This way, you can have buttermilk pancakes anytime even if you don’t have buttermilk. You just need this simple mix.
Making your own mix just takes measuring and whisking. You should have everything you need in your pantry with the exception of the buttermilk powder.
Buttermilk Pancake Mix
- 8 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups dry buttermilk powder (found on the baking isle)
- 1/2 cup baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
- To make each batch of pancakes:
- 1 1/2 cups of pancake mix
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In a large bowl, add all of the ingredients for the pancake mix. Whisk well together. Store mix in and airtight container.
- Tp prepare pancakes – add 1 1/2 cups of mix to a bowl along with 3/4 cup water and 1 tsp vanilla. Whisk until combined.
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter onto a hot greased grilled. Cook 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown. Makes 6-8 pancakes.
Recipe adapted from The Pioneer Woman.