Today, I have a deliciously easy broccoli chowder made using Challenge Butter along with a giveaway. It has been between 7 and 10 degrees in the morning when I have been taking my kids to school. My daughter doesn’t even get recess because the temperature is too cool (plus we are having red air quality – one of the down sides to living in the Salt Lake Valley surrounded by mountains). The weather man also said on the news that it is even too cold to snow! I didn’t even realize that was possible. This chowder was the perfect thing to help warm up my family when dinner time rolled around. I also made a loaf of bread to accompany the bowls of this comforting soup.
The soup itself includes a rich and creamy cheesy base with chunks of ham and tender broccoli florets mixed in with some bits of onion. I can always get my kids to eat broccoli if it involves cheese.
I also wanted to share with you that Challenge Butter has launched their “Recipe for Caring” Celebrity Chef Challenge, where three celebrity chefs have made exclusive recipes, and you have the chance to win just for voting on your favorite!
There’s over $5,000 in CASH and prizes for winning voters, and Challenge will also donate $10,000 to 3 charities at the end of the promotion! Click here to learn more about the Chefs and to see the exclusive recipes.The contest runs until January 15th.
Challenge has also provided a kit including 5 FREE coupons for Challenge Butter and a 5 piece bakeware set from Good Cook (total value of $75) for one lucky RMK reader.
To enter leave a comment about how you like to cook with butter. You have until Friday Jan. 11 at midnight (MST) to enter. This contest is open to US Residents. Winner will be announced on this post following the entry deadline.
- 1 pound frozen broccoli florets
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 4 Tbsp Challenge Danish Creamery Butter , (½ stick)
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 1½ cups milk
- 1¼ cups (6 oz) sharp cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup (6 oz) fully cooked ham, cut in ⅜-inch cubes
- salt to taste
- shredded cheddar cheese, optional garnish
- Combine broccoli and broth in microwave-safe covered container and microwave on high for 2-33 minutes or until broccoli is just tender. Drain and save liquid and set both aside.
- Melt butter over medium–low heat in a 4 quart pot. Add onions and sauté until limp but not browned.
- Add flour to pot and cook stirring for about 3 minutes until the flour cooked but not browned.
- Stir in cooking liquid from broccoli and milk; cook until mixture starts to thicken.
- Add cheese cubes and black pepper, ham and broccoli; stir over medium heat until cheese melts. Heat through but do not boil. Salt to taste. Serve hot. Serves 4-5.
Recipe adapted from Challenge Butter.
Disclosure: I was also sent a prize pack.
The winner of this giveaway is Maralea who said: I love using butter for all my baking!
Congrats to Maralea! Watch for an email on how to claim your prize.