I love a good bowl of oatmeal, but have never tried a baked version before. I must say, I think it is now my favorite way to eat it. The oats are so tender but still have a nice chewiness to them. This gets a nice sweetness from honey. I must admit, I still added a little sprinkle of brown sugar to my serving. I just couldn’t help it. I love some brown sugar with my oatmeal.
I also chose to use fresh blueberries and walnuts in this version. I had some blueberries that needed to have something done with them. This would also work with any other fruit and nut combo you like. I think raspberry and almond would be yummy or even apple and pecans. If you aren’t a fan of nuts just substitute them with more fruit! Surprise Dad on Father’s Day morning with this hearty breakfast!
Blueberry Walnut Baked Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups milk (I used skim)
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, whisk together honey and eggs. Add a little of the melted butter to the egg mixture to temper it and whisk. Then add the remaining butter and whisk.
- Add in the oats, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, vanilla and milk. Stir until well combined and then fold in blueberries and walnuts.
- Spray an 8 x 8 baking dish with non stick cooking spray. Pour the oatmeal mixture into the dish and spread evenly. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown. May be served with milk and more fruit on top and even a little sprinkle of brown sugar!
Adapted from my friend Leigh Anne over at Your Home Based Mom. Thanks it was delish!