From the time I was married, I have been on a quest to cook the perfect beef roast in the oven. The perfect beef roast has to be moist, flavorful and also have drippings to create a yummy gravy. I finally found the perfect way to make it about 8 years ago after talking with my local butcher. He told me how he likes to make a beef roast in the oven. Hence, the best oven roast.
It isn’t really complicated at all to do. The secret is the process of cooking it. Ever since then, this is how I make my beef roast. You can always add some herbs to the broth if you really want to, but it isn’t necessary. You can also sear the meat before cooking, but that also isn’t necessary. I prefer to sear it so you get a little crust to the outside of it.
- BEEF ROAST (I LIKE A RUMP ROAST BUT CHUCK WILL ALSO WORK WELL)
- KOSHER SALT AND PEPPER
- BEEF BROTH
Best Oven Roast
Real Mom Kitchen
- 3-5 pound beef roast I like a rump roast but chuck will also work well
- kosher salt and pepper
- 2 cups of beef broth
- Season roast well with salt and pepper and sear in a hot pan until all sides are golden brown.
- Place roast in a roasting pan with broth and cover with foil. Or you can use and dutch oven with a lid.
- Bake at 275 degrees until fully cooked. For a 3 pound roast it takes about 3 hours, a 4 pound roast about 4 hours. If you are using a cast iron pot it may cook a little faster since the pan holds the heat better. It also depends on how cooked you like your roast. I like mine medium well to well.
- Use what broth is left in the pan after cooking to make gravy.