This recipe is a staple at our house in the summertime. It’s so great to quickly heat this up on the stove top and NOT heat up the house. I got this Barbecue Ham Sandwiches recipe a year ago from a issue of Simple and Delicious magazine. Sure you could do the same things with any bottled barbecue sauce, but this sauce is what makes the sandwich.
I think the secret to this sauce is the combination chili sauce and ground cloves. I have altered the recipe slightly from the original, because the sauce on the original was too runny for me.
This recipe is so simple. You combine some chili sauce, water, brown sugar, prepared mustard, ground cloves, and chili powder in a sauce pan. Cook for 15 minutes over low heat. Once that is done, you just add in the ham and cook until the ham is heated through. All that’s let to do now is serve the ham on hamburger buns. I love to make this for a quick summer dinner.
- CHILI SAUCE
- BROWN SUGAR
- PREPARED MUSTARD
- CHILI POWDER
- GROUND CLOVES
- SHAVED FULLY COOKED HAM
- HAMBURGER BUNS
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 tsp prepared mustard
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1–1/2 pounds shaved fully cooked ham
- 8 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients. Cook, uncovered, over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Stir in ham; heat through.
- Using a slotted spoon, serve on buns. Serves 8.