This recipe is a staple at our house in the summertime. It’s so great to quickly heat this up on the stove top and NOT heat up the house. I got this recipe a year ago from a issue of Simple and Delicious magazine. Sure you could do the same things with any bottled barbecue sauce, but this sauce is what makes the sandwich. I think the secret to this sauce is the combination chili sauce and ground cloves. I have altered the recipe slightly from the original, because the sauce on the original was too runny for me.
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 tsp prepared mustard
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1–1/2 pounds shaved fully cooked ham
- 8 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients. Cook, uncovered, over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Stir in ham; heat through.
- Using a slotted spoon, serve on buns. Serves 8.