Now that we are officially in fall, I have been craving grilled sandwiches like today’s Ultimate Grilled Ham and Cheese. I have had enough cold sandwiches during summer and are ready for a sandwich with that crisp toasty bread and warm melty filling.
Grilled ham and cheese is a classic sandwich, but I have a more jazzed up version for you. The main key to a grilled sandwich is the base – the bread. You want to have a good hearty bread like a sourdough or artisan bread. A nice bread can make the difference from a good sandwich to a fabulous sandwich.
With this version of a grilled ham and cheese, the usual American or cheddar is swapped out for muenster cheese. It also includes an amazing but simple sandwich spread along with caramelized onions and sliced tomato. The whole combination is amazing!
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup bbq sauce
- 8 slices of sourdough or artisan bread
- softened butter for grilling the sandwiches
- 4–8 slices Muenster cheese, depending on the size of bread slices you use
- 1/2 lb. thinly slice deli ham
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- In a skillet over medium-low heat, cook onion with butter covered for 13-15 minutes until tender. Uncover and cook over medium heat for 3-5 minutes until golden and caramelized. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the mayo and bbq sauce together until smooth. Set aside.
- On the outside side of each slice of bread, spread with softened butter.
- To make each sandwich, place one slice of bread butter side down in a skillet, spread the facing side up with the bbq mayo. The top with 1-2 pieces of cheese, 1/4 of the ham, a couple slices of tomato, and 1/4 of the caramelized onions. Take anther slice of bread, spread the non-butter side of the slice with the bbq may and place bbq mayo side down on the sandwich. Cook each side of the sandwich over medium heat until golden on both sides.
- Repeat the process with the remaining ingredients to make 3 more sandwiches. Makes 4 sandwiches.
Recipe adapted from Midwest Living.