You must ALL make sure you save this recipe to your files. It is THE BEST banana cake that I have ever made. The bonus is you make this with a mix, yep that’s correct folks. You make it with a mix. So I found this banana pecan cake recipe from Cheryl over at Cookin Dunkin Style. She was initially going to make a Paula Deen recipe but decided to make the cake “her way” and take a few shortcuts. I must say Cheryl that I am grateful that you did! Not that I don’t like banana cake make from scratch, but when you do make them from scratch they tend to be quite dense.
This cake was not overly dense.
It was the perfect texture and was deliciously moist. Also, you make the cake is with pecans, but if you prefer walnuts would also work fabulously. You could also add nuts to the batter if it strikes your fancy. Even though this is a layered cake you could easily change it to a 9 x 13 cake or even cupcakes. Cupcakes would be magnificent. I think cupcakes would be divine, each with it’s own pecan half on top! Thank you, thank you Cheryl! Love your banana pecan cake!
I also have a fun announcement for you all today. I have signed a cookbook deal. Yes you heard it right, there will soon be a Real Mom Kitchen cookbook. The book will include a lot of the favorites from the site but will also include some brand new recipes that I have never shared before. I have to have the book finish by the end of November and it will come out in stores sometime in the Spring of 2011. I am gonna be one busy girl for the next few months. There will be more details to come as we get closer to the release.
Banana Pecan Cake
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 French Vanilla Cake mix plus ingredients on package to make the cake
- 3-4 very ripe bananas mashed (I use 3)
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ chopped Pecans
- approximately 20 whole pecans
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese room temp
- ½ cup butter room temp
- 1 pound confectioners sugar sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Make your cake as directed on the package, adding the banana's and Cinnamon to the cake mixture. Bake as directed.
- In a bowl blend the cream cheese, butter, gradually add the confectioners sugar and beat till light and fluffy. Beat in the Vanilla.
- Frost the first layer top and sprinkle on the chopped Pecans, add the second layer and continue frosting the cake until entire cake is covered.
- Carefully place the whole pecan pieces around the edge of the cake.