If you want to make a tasty treat for mom for Mother’s Day, this banana cake with cream cheese frosting just may be what you are looking for. It is also a good use of any overripe bananas you may have sitting on your counter.
There are two main differences in the recipe for this banana cake with cream cheese frosting. Instead of just using regular sugar, this recipe includes brown sugar too. It adds a greater depth of flavor to the cake. You can use light or dark brown sugar, which ever one you prefer. I used light.
Next, this cake includes buttermilk. Buttermilk is a great ingredient for cakes. It brings a nice tang to cakes while adding very little fat. I think that tang helps the cake from not being overly sweet. It adds balance.
Buttermilk is an acidic ingredient that also helps tenderize gluten, giving the cake a softer texture and more body. Additionally, it helps the cake rise.
Another delicious thing about this cake is it is topped with a creamy cream cheese frosting. It is exactly what you would expect from a cream cheese frosting. You make it using butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla, and a dash of salt.Print
- 3 large ripe bananas, mashed (1 and 1/2 cups mashed)
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light or dark brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar, plus an extra 1/4 cup if needed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13 inch pan and set aside.
- In a bowl, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Whisk together and set aside.
- Using a mixer, beat the butter in a bowl on high speed for 1 minute until smooth and creamy. Add both sugars to the butter and beat on high speed for 2 minutes until creamed together. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed.
- Add in the eggs and the vanilla. Beat on medium speed until combined. Add in mashed bananas and beat together. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl as needed.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients in thirds alternating with the buttermilk and mixing each addition just until incorporated. Do not overmix. The batter will be slightly thick and a few lumps.
- Spread batter into the prepared 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If you find the top of the cake is browning too quickly, loosely cover it with aluminum foil. Allow to cool completely.
- For the frosting: Beat the cream cheese and butter together until smooth and creamy. Add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt. Beat for a couple of minutes until smooth. If you want the frosting a little thicker, add the extra 1/4 cup of confectioners sugar. Spread the frosting on the cooled cake. and refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving. Serves 12.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Recipe adapted from Sally’s Baking Addition.