Here is a yummy baked ham rigatoni pasta dish that I found on a site called Recipes of a Cheapskate. I had leftover ham sitting in my fridge and this was a great way to use up.
It’s basically like a white mac and cheese recipe with ham in it. You can use any pasta that you have on hand. Mini penne is what I used the first time I made this. I was straight out of mozzarella cheese, so I used a combination of mozzarella, provolone, asiago, and romano cheeses.
You can save the baked ham rigatoni for later by placing it in the freezer. When I make this recipe, I like to double it. This way you can eat one now and have another one in the freezer for a later date.
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 16 oz pkg rigatoni pasta (or other tube style pasta), cooked according to pkg directions for al dente
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup flour
- 1 qt or 4 cups milk
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese divided
- about 1/2 lb or 1 1/2 cups diced ham
- seasonings onion salt, pepper, cayenne pepper
- small pads of butter for top
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Once butter is melted, whisk in flour. Add your milk, and continue to stir until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon.
- Add your seasoning, ham, and 1 1/2 cups of the cheese in. Stir well, to get the cheese melted.
- Add to the sauce to the cooked pasta and combine. Pour mixture into a greased 9x13 pan, smooth the top and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Dot the top with your pads of butter and bake for about 25 minutes, or until the top is bubbly and brown.