I am a big fan of French onion soup. However, no one at my home loves it. So, I usually order at a restaurant whenever I have the chance to. However, I recently tried this easy baked onion soup to make at home. Now I can make it and then place individual servings in containers. Then I can keep it in the freezer for whenever I feel like bowl of it. It was simple to make. The only thing that takes time is cooking the onions down but that is what gives it the delicious flavor!
Since this baked onion soup does take a fair amount of onions, I recommend using a mandolin to slice them. You can always do it by hand but a mandolin makes it so much easier. I love this Food Network mandolin I purchase from Kohl’s. I used a 30% off coupon when I purchased it, in addition to it being on sale.
- BUTTER OR MARGARINE (I RECOMMEND USING BUTTER)
- YELLOW OR SWEET ONION (I USED SWEET ONIONS)
- BEEF BROTH
- DRY WHITE WINE OR WATER
- WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE
- SARGENTO® DELI STYLE SLICED SWISS CHEESE
- FRENCH BREAD
- SARGENTO® ARTISAN BLENDS® SHREDDED PARMESAN CHEESE
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine (I recommend using butter)
- 2 lbs. (about 3 large) yellow or sweet onions, thinly sliced (I used sweet onions)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (10-1/2 oz. each) beef broth
- 1 cup dry white wine or water
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 6 slices Sargento® Deli Style Sliced Swiss Cheese, cut diagonally in half to form triangles
- 6 slices (3/4-inch thick) French bread, toasted
- 1/2 cup (2 oz.) Sargento® Artisan Blends® Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Melt butter in large saucepan. Add onions and garlic; cook 30 minutes or until very tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in beef broth, wine or water and Worcestershire sauce; heat to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes.
- Ladle into 6 ovenproof bowls. Place 1 Swiss cheese triangle over each portion of soup; top with 1 slice French bread. Place remaining Swiss cheese triangles over bread; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Place under preheated broiler 5 inches from heat; broil 2 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden. Serves 6.
Recipe from Sargento, used with permission.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post.