When you want a steak but grilling on your out door grill isn’t possible, the next best thing is to bake it. This baked garlic butter steak gets seared on the stove top first and then finished in the oven.
The key to searing is to make sure your steak is dry. All you need to do it pat them down with a paper towel.
Once the steak has been seared on each side (it only takes about a minute per side) you are going to bake it at 400 degrees. The amount of time you cook it will depend on how you like your steak. For a 1 1/2 inch steak this is what it usually takes:
- Rare: 2 minutes (cook to 120 degrees F)
- Medium Rare: 3 minutes (cook to 130 degrees F)
- Medium: 4 minutes (cook to 140 degrees F)
- Medium-well: 5 minutes (cook to 150 degrees F)
- Well-done: 6 minutes (cook to 160 degrees F)
After you cook the steak, it’s important to give it some rest time. This allows the juices to stay in your steak. Just before to transfer the steaks to a plate to rest. Don’t leave them in the skillet or they will continue to cook.
Then before you serve this steak you top it with a slice of a slice of garlic butter that includes galic, butter, salt, and pepper. It makes the steaks divine!Print
- For the garlic butter:
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- For the steaks:
- 4 sirloin steaks
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- Make the garlic butter by combining the 1/2 cup butter, 3 cloves garlic, 1/2 tsp kosher salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper in a bowl. Transfer onto a piece of parchment paper and shape into a log. Roll in parchment to 1 1/2 inches in diameter, twisting the ends to close. Refrigerate until ready to use, up to 1 week.
- Using paper towels, pat both sides of the steak dry. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and drizzle with some olive oil. Place on the stove top over medium-high heat. Turn oven now to preheat to 400 degrees.
- Place your skillet into the oven and cook at 400 degrees until desired doneness is reached. For a 1 1/2 inch steak – Rare: 2 minutes (cook to 120 degrees F) Medium Rare: 3 minutes (cook to 130 degrees F) Medium: 4 minutes (cook to 140 degrees F) Medium-well: 5 minutes (cook to 150 degrees F) Well-done: 6 minutes (cook to 160 degrees F)
- Place steaks on a plate and allow rest for 3-5 minutes, tented with foil. Serve immediately with a slice of garlic butter.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Recipe adapted from Oh Sweet Basil.