Instead of a pineapple upside down cake, how a about an apple upside down cake? I found this recipe at Betty Crocker, where they call it Warm Apple Cake. However, I renamed it Apple Upside Down Cake, because basically, that’s what it is. Now, half my family liked it and half didn’t. The half that didn’t is not fans of cooked apples in the first place.
I dice the apple instead if slicing them. I thought it would make cutting the cake easier if they were diced. Also, I did not use the topping recipe listed on the recipe. I stuck with sweetened whipped cream. But then, the next night, I served the left overs warmed up with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. I have to tell you that I prefer the ice cream. My husband did think the smell of this cake while it was cooking was heavenly. He even said it was too bad I couldn’t make the house smell like that every day.
The recipe also calls for apple pie spice which I didn’t have, so I have include the recipe I used for apple pie spice at the bottom. I didn’t put the nuts in either.
- BUTTER OR MARGARINE
- WHIPPING CREAM
- BROWN SUGAR
- COOKING APPLES
- BETTY CROCKER® SUPERMOIST® YELLOW CAKE MIX
- VEGETABLE OIL
- APPLE PIE SPICE
- BETTY CROCKER® WHIPPED FLUFFY WHITE FROSTING)
- FROZEN WHIPPED TOPPING
- CARAMEL TOPPING
Apple Upside Down Cake
Real Mom Kitchen
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 2 large cooking apples peeled, cored and thinly sliced (about 2 1/3 cups) they recommend Granny Smith or Braeburn
- 1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® yellow cake mix
- 1 ¼ cups water
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- ¼ teaspoon apple pie spice
- Topping I didn't use this. I'd use sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
- ⅔ cup Betty Crocker® Whipped fluffy white frosting from 12-oz container
- ½ cup frozen thawed whipped topping
- Caramel topping if desired
- Heat oven to 350°F. In 1-quart heavy saucepan, cook butter, whipping cream and brown sugar over low heat, stirring occasionally, just until butter is melted. Pour into 13x9-inch pan. Sprinkle with pecans; top with sliced apples.
- In large bowl, beat cake mix, water, oil, eggs and apple pie spice with electric mixer on low speed until moistened. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Carefully spoon batter over apple mixture.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Loosen sides of cake from pan. Place heatproof serving platter upside down on pan; carefully turn platter and pan over. Let pan remain over cake about 1 minute so caramel can drizzle over cake. Remove pan.
- In small bowl, mix frosting and whipped topping. Serve warm cake topped with frosting mixture and drizzled with caramel topping.
Apple Pie Spice
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- Mix and store, tightly covered, in a cool dry place. Makes 2 tablespoons.