I have shared classic funnel cakes and pumpkin funnel cakes before, so I thought apple cider funnel cakes sounded like a great addition. They are funnel cakes with fall flavor.
Apple cider give them a light apple flavor. Then there is some apple pie spice mixed in there too adding some nice warmth.
These are great to eat dusted with powdered sugar mixed with a little cinnamon. However, I added some of my instant pot apple pie filling on top too. It was AMAZING! You could up the level of the funnel cake by also adding on some whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream too!
- 2 cups canola oil
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp apple pie spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup apple cider
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon mixed together for dusting
- apple pie filling, whipped cream, or ice cream ( optional as toppings)
- Heat the oil into a deep skillet, at least 8 inches in diameter, to 360-375 degrees.
- While the oil heats, add the flour, baking powder, and salt to a mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Add the eggs, milk, and vanilla to a blender. Pulse a few times to combine.
- Add the flour mixture in 1/2 cup at a time, pulsing after each addition to combine.
- If using a funnel, plug the hole at the bottom with your finger. Pour the desired amount of batter into the funnel. Over the hot oil, remove you finger and using a circular motion to make 4 to 6 inch circle with the batter, and then cross over the circle to make a spiral pattern.
- If using a freezer bag, Pour the batter into a zipper freezer bag. Cut off the corner and pipe some batter into the hot oil using a circular motion to make 4 to 6 inch circle, and then cross over the circle to make a spiral pattern.
- Cook until under side of funnel cake is golden brown. Carefully flip the cake over to cook the bottom side until golden. Remove from the oil and drain on plate lined with paper towels.
- Serve warm and dust generously with cinnamon powdered sugar. Top with desired toppings. Makes 4-6 funnel cakes.
Adapted from the Easy Carnival Funnel Cakes.