Here’s another way that I found to use up my bounteous zucchini. I haven’t tried it in a quiche and wondered how it would turn out. I adapted this zucchini quiche recipe from one I found in the cookbook 101 Things to Do with Zucchini. I found that the recipe made way too much egg/cream mixture to get in the pie crust and adjusted the recipe accordingly.
The other interesting thing about this recipe is how you reduce the water content in the zucchini so it doesn’t make the quiche all watery. You just sprinkle the zucchini with some salt and let it sit in a strainer. The salt helps pull out the moisture. This quiche was pretty yummy. I love the addition of the green onion along with the green chilies.
- FROZEN PIE CRUST
- GREEN ONION
- CANNED CHOPPED GREEN CHILIES
- CHEDDAR/MONTERREY JACK BLEND SHREDDED CHEESE
- 1 (9 inch) frozen pie crust
- 3 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup sliced green onion
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 (4 oz.) can chopped green chilies
- 1 cup cheddar/Monterrey Jack blend shredded cheese
- 2 eggs, slightly
- 1 cup cream
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Cook frozen pie crust according to package directions.
- While pie crust cooks, place zucchini in a colander or strainer and place strainer in a bowl. Sprinkle with salt and let sit for 15-30 minutes. Moisture will drain off the zucchini.
- Place zucchini in a towel and squeeze out excess moisture.
- Melt butter in a medium frying pan. Stir in zucchini and green onion followed by flour.
- Place zucchini mixture in the bottom of the baked pie crust. Spread green chilies over zucchini.
- Sprinkle green chilies with 1/2 cup of cheese. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture in pie and fill ( you may have a small amount of extra egg mixture) and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cook in a 450 degree preheated oven for 14 minutes. Then if edges of crust are golden, place foil around pie to cover edges of crust. Turn heat down to 350 degrees and cook for 25 more minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.