I found this yummy zucchini bake with feta and thyme recipe over at Kalyn’s Kitchen. Now, I was interested in how the feta and zucchini combo was going to taste. I know zucchini and thyme go well together, so I figured any kind of cheese would be a welcomed addition. Plus, I still have a lot of zucchini to use up and I was looking for other ways to eat it.
The zucchini bake with feta and thyme was delish! I loved the salty flavor that the feta added to this dish. I did reduce the amount of thyme in the original recipe by half. This change is reflected in the recipe below. Any more than that and I think you would have been over powered by the thyme.
- 4 medium-sized zucchini, or a mixture of zucchini with yellow squash, sliced lengthwise and then into 1/4 inch slices (about 8 cups sliced squash)
- 1 T olive oil (or less, depending on the pan)
- 1 T minced garlic
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup light sour cream
- 1 cup crumbled feta (not tightly packed)
- 1/2 T dried thyme
- 2 T grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 T lemon juice
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Wash and dry squash, then cut off stem and blossom end and discard. Cut squash lengthwise in half, then slice into half-moon slices about 1/4 inch thick. (Kayln used a mandoline with a 7mm blade, but I just used a knife.)
- Heat olive oil in large non-stick frying pan, add garlic and saute about 45 seconds (just long enough to season the oil, don’t let the garlic brown.) Add squash slices and saute about 4 minutes, turning a few times. Squash should be barely starting to soften.
- While squash cooks, break eggs into a small bowl or glass measuring cup and beat until egg yolks and whites are combined. Stir in sour cream, feta, thyme, Parmesan, and lemon juice.
- Spray a 2 quart gratin dish or glass casserole dish with non-stick spray or olive oil. Layer half the squash in the dish, then season with salt and fresh ground black pepper. (Remember the feta is salty, so it won’t need a lot of salt.) Pour over half the egg-feta mixture and use the back of a spoon or a rubber scraper to spread it over the squash. Repeat with another layer of squash and the rest of the feta-egg mixture.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes, or until the mixture is bubbling, slightly set, and top if lightly browned. Serve hot. Makes 6 side dish servings.