One of my most favorite items to have for breakfast is waffles, so I couldn’t have a gift week without including a waffle mix. This whole wheat waffle mix is also healthy for you. They include whole wheat flour with equal amounts of regular flour. This is the one way I can get my kids to each whole wheat, I have to mix it with regular.
I elected to make these in my BIG Belgian waffle maker, but will probably opt for my regular or smaller Belgian maker next time. I could only eat half a waffle because they are so filling. So a smaller version would be perfect. Gift this mix with syrups like with the pancake mix I shared on Monday or give it with a waffle maker. The whole wheat waffle mix can also be given just by itself.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
To prepare waffles:
2 large eggs, separated
4 Tbsp butter, melted
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 cup milk (whole is best but any milk will work)
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups waffle mix
1. In a large bowl, beat egg whites with a hand mixer until soft peaks form. Set aside.
2. In another large bowl, whisk egg yolks, buttermilk, milk and vanilla together. Then slowly whisk in melted butter.
3. Add 2 cups of waffle mix to the buttermilk mixture. Stir until combined, then stir in a big spoonful of the egg whites. (This will lighten to batter to better fold in the remaining egg whites)
4. Add the remaining egg whites and gently fold in.
5. Cook waffles per the manufacturers instructions for your waffle maker. Makes 8 medium sized waffles.
Recipe adapted from Simple Bites.