When having pasta, I will always pick to have it covered with a creamy cheesy sauce over a tomato sauce any day! I just can’t help myself. This Three Cheese Baked Rigatoni pasta is coated with a creamy three cheese sauce.
One of those cheeses used is a smoked gouda. I love the slight smoky flavor it adds to the dish, but Parmesan cheese could be easily used in it’s place and it would be equally delicious.
I am also a huge mushroom fan and those are included in this dish. No meat is included but you could always mix in some cooked chicken if desired.
- 1 lb. rigatoni pasta
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 5 Tbsp butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese, grated
- 8 oz smoked gouda, grated (Parmesan would be a great substitute for this too)
- 8 oz provolone cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook pasta for a few minutes less than directed on package.
- While the pasta cooks, in a large oven-safe skillet, olive oil and butter. Melt butter over medium heat over and add in the onions and mushrooms. Cook just until tender. Add in garlic and cook for a minute until fragrant.
- Sprinkle flour over the mixture. Whisk together and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly add in the milk while whisking to avoid any clumps. Add in the salt and pepper.
- Once combined and thickened reduce the heat to low.
- Set aside 1/3 of each of the cheeses. Then add the remaining 2/3 of cheeses to the mixture. Stir together until the sauce is smooth and creamy.
- Combine the cooked pasta with the sauce. If your skillet is oven-safe, sprinkle the remaining cheese over the skillet. If your skillet is not oven-safe, transfer the pasta to a large casserole dish (something like a 9 x 13). Top with dish with the the remaining 1/3 cheese that you set aside.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 375 or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Serves 6.
Recipe adapted from Center Cut Cook.