Lately, I have been in love with the house salad at Texas Roadhouse served with Thousand Island dressing. I really love a good Thousand Island dressing and there are few places that have a really good one. Mimi’s Cafe and Sizzler’s dressing does get my stamp of approval. However, none of the bottled versions for home stack up to my expectations.
Since I love it so much, I figured I needed to find a good one to make at home. So I got the playing around in the kitchen. The great thing about making your own dressing at home is you can have control over the ingredients. This can help reduce the calories in your salad dressing. I use light mayonnaise in all of my creamy salad dressings. I think I finally found the right recipe for a made from home version with this recipe. Place it on top of my favorite house salad – chopped romaine, shredded cheese, diced tomato, hardboiled egg and don’t forget the croutons.
By the way, the picture doesn’t do the color of the dressing justice. It looks a lot lighter in the photo than what it looks like in real life.Print
- 1 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 2 green onions, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- water, to thin if needed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place mayonnaise in a bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Whisk in the chili sauce, ketchup, pickle relish, green onion, and sugar.
- If needed add water to get dressing to the desired consistency. I like mine on the thick side.
- Add salt and pepper if desired and allow to refrigerate covered for at least 1 hour to let the flavors develop.
Real Mom Kitchen original recipe.