Today’s recipe is a fabulous strawberry cream puff pie and would be perfect to serve mom on Mother’s Day. If you have made the recipe before that I have shared for the eclair torte, it is similar to that but a cream puff version. Also, the filling is
similar to the filling that was in the Lemon Cream Puff recipe that I shared with you last month.
This filling uses orange rind, which I think I love more than the lemon. Next, you add fresh strawberries to that and it’s even better. The orange and strawberry go so well together. Love it! The recipe originated from Melanie over at My Kitchen Cafe. She calls it a cream puff cake. I thought it was more like a pie, so I am calling it cream puff pie.
**Update** I shared this recipe on a local TV show called Good Things Utah in April 2016. Follow the link provided to check out the video of the recipe.
- Cream Puff Base:
- 5 Tbsp butter
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2/3 cup flour
- 3 eggs
- Cream Cheese Mixture:
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp fresh orange zest
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 tsp sugar
- For the cream puff layer, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Bring the butter, water and sugar to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the flour all at once and stir quickly until the mixture pulls away from the sides of the pan. Remove the pan from the heat and stir the mixture until smooth. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat until the mixture is shiny with a satiny sheen. Don’t overbeat. Lightly grease the bottom and sides of a 9-inch spring form pan (or in a pinch, you could use a 9-inch circle cake pan). Using an offset spatula, spread the mixture on the bottom and one inch up the sides of the prepared pan. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and prick pastry with a toothpick 10-12 times. Return to the oven and bake 5-10 minutes more until golden brown but not over baked (you can insert a toothpick into the center and if it comes out with sticky dough, it still needs longer in the oven). Cool completely.
- For the cream cheese mixture, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Gradually add the powdered sugar (if you want to ensure there are no lumps, sift the powdered sugar into the cream cheese) and beat with the cream cheese until mixture is smooth and light. Add the remaining ingredients and beat until stiff peaks form. Spread onto the cooled cream puff shell.
- Top with fresh sliced strawberries (I mixed 2 cups of strawberries with 2 teaspoon sugar and let them hang out in the fridge while I was prepping the cake) or you can use a 16-ounce bag of frozen strawberries that have been thawed. Mix the thawed strawberries and juice with 1-2 teaspoons sugar and bring to a simmer in a saucepan. Cook until slightly thickened. Cool completely and use as topping for the pie.
This is the original photo from this post. The above photo was updated in June 2016.