Sometimes I make a recipe due to a craving. Other times I make a recipe due to the need to use certain ingredients that I have that need to be used. The second reason is the reason I first made these sour cream chicken enchiladas. I had some sour cream in the fridge that needed to be used before it reached it’s expiration date.
I have a sour cream enchilada recipe that I have shared before. However, it uses condensed cream of chicken soup and sour cream for the sauce. The base of this recipe is a creamy sauce made with butter, flour, and sour cream. Some onion, cheese, and green chilies is also mixed in there.
Next you take have of the sauce and mix in the chicken. Then use this chicken mixture to fill the tortillas. Once the tortillas are all filled, you top them with the remaining sauce and some additional cheese. Now it’s tame for these babies to bake.
You baked the sour cream chicken enchiladas covered for 20 minute. Then you uncover them and bake for another 20 minutes. The last thing you want to too is top these enchiladas with your favorite garnish. Green onion, pico de gallo, more sour cream, or olives are great options, but get creative and use what you like.Print
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 (4.5-oz) can diced green chiles
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 10 large flour tortillas
- 3 cups cooked shredded or diced chicken
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- desired garnishes such are olives, green onion, dice avocado, diced tomatoes etc.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish and set aside.
- In large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender, 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the flour and stir to combine. Add chicken broth a little at a time while stirring constantly, until all broth has been added and mixture is smooth.
- Stir in sour cream and green chilies. Cook 2-3 until thickened.
- In a large bowl, the chicken, half the sauce and half of the cheese. Take each tortilla and spread some filling down the center, roll up, and place seam side-down in the prepared baking dish.
- Pour remaining amount of the sauce on top of the enchiladas. Sprinkle with remaining cheese over the enchiladas.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 15-20 minutes more until sauce is bubbling. Serve immediately and top with desired toppings. Serves 5.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mexican
This recipe is adapted from Completely Delicious.