Today we are making sloppy joes in the slow cooker. Now I know you might be thinking, is it really necessary to make sloppy joes in a crock pot? The answer is yes – it is perfect for a night when you want dinner ready and waiting for you when you walk in the door. It is perfect for a day when you have sometime in the afternoon where you can throw this together, then you can take off for basketball practice, Christmas shopping, etc.
This works for me because I have fequent dr appointments with my daughter in the late afternoon. I try to get her appointment so she can miss the least amount of school. I can throw this together and head off to the dr. Then when we get home I have a nice hot dinner already to go.
This recipe is very similar to my mom’s sloppy joe recipe. It also makes enough for two meals for my family, so I freeze what we have left for another night. Then I just thaw in the fridge and reheat.
I also have a new giveaway starting today. Go check it out, it will give you an idea for a fun party.
- 2 lb. ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (10 3/4 oz) can condensed tomato soup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/8 cup ketchup
- 1 1/2 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp dry mustard
- 1/2 Tbsp prepared mustard
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 16 hamburger buns
- 16 slices of cheese, optional (we like american or provolone)
- In a skillet, brown ground beef and onion together until beef is cooked. Drain off fat.
- Place beef in the slow cooker and add remaining ingredients.
- Stir until well combined.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours.
- Serve on buns with a slice of cheese on each bun.
Recipe adapted from Angela’s Sewing for Sanity.