I have enjoyed kalua pork at restaurants before but wanted to give it a try at home. It really isn’t hard to do, especailly with this Slow Cooker Kalua Pork recipe. With all the recipes I found, you basically just use salt and liquid smoke. The other key to making it is cooking it low and slow for a long period of time.
You can cook it in the oven but I opted for the slow cooker method. You end up with a deliciously tender meat that is flavorful on it’s own. I do like to eat it with some sauce and I will share a recipe for one tomorrow.
Also, be sure to get the shoulder roast for this slow cooker kalua pork. You do not want a leaner cut because you need the fat to keep it moist. I have a giveaway going on today too if you want to check it out and enter!Print
- 5 lb. pork shoulder roast
- 1 1/2 Tbsp coarse sea slat
- 1 1/2 Tbsp liquid smoke
- With a knife, cut slits into the roast with the tip.
- Rub salt all over the roast and place it in the slow cooker.
- Pour liquid smoke over the roast.
- Cook on low heat for 16 to 20 hours, turning halfway through the cooking process.
- Remove roast from the slow cooker and shred.
- Add some of the liquid left in the slow cooker to the meat until most. Serves 12