I had to make this slow cooker Italian Beef recipe when I saw it on My Kitchen Café. It was adapted from a recipe on allrecipes.com. The fact this was in a slow cooker and that Melanie at My Kitchen Café said it was more tender than any meat she cooked in the crock pot, sealed it’s fate. This turned out wonderful. The meat was flavor and tender. A definite must keep recipe.
The only complaint, it was quite salty. I will probably reduce the salt to 1/2 tsp next time or completely omit it. I also used bouillon for the broth, so that probably added to the saltiness. The whole family love it. Before I put the meat on the buns, I put some shredded mozzarella (didn’t have provolone) on half the bun and put them under the broiler. This made the cheese melty and the bun toasty with a little crispness. Yummy! Get your crock pot and give this a try.
- BEEF BROTH
- GROUND BLACK PEPPER
- DRIED OREGANO
- DRIED BASIL
- ONION SALT
- DRIED PARSLEY
- BAY LEAF
- DRY ITALIAN-STYLE SALAD DRESSING MIX (SUCH AS GOOD SEASONS BRAND)
- CHUCK ROAST
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp onion salt
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (.7 ounce) package dry Italian-style salad dressing mix (such as Good Seasons brand)
- 1 (5 pound) chuck roast (I used a mock tender roast, I don’t know what kind of roast that is but it’s what the butcher labels it)
- Combine water and beef broth with salt, ground black pepper, oregano, basil, onion salt, parsley, garlic powder, bay leaf, and salad dressing mix. Whisk to combine.
- Place roast in slow cooker, and pour salad dressing mixture over the meat. Cover, and cook on Low for 10 to 12 hours, or on High for 4 to 5 hours.
- When done, remove bay leaf, and shred meat with a fork (I did this step about 45 minutes before eating so the shredded meat had time to absorb more of the juices in the crock pot). Serve on crusty rolls with cheese, if desired.
Original photo from this post. Above photo was updated in June 2013.