I have kind of been on a pasta kick lately. I have been making all kinds of recipes using frozen ravioli and tortellini. This is one of my latest discoveries and is one of my favorites. This simple soup is made in your slow cooker. I love it when I can let my slow cooker do most of the work for my dinner. Isn’t it the best?
I also love the combination of the creamy tomato base surrounding the tortellini, spinach, mushrooms, and sausage. Another bonus – it only takes 7 ingredients to make. Hardest part is browning the sausage.
FYI, for you locals I will be appearing today on Fresh Living at 1 pm on channel 2, so check out what I will be sharing in their kitchen.Print
- 1 lb Italian sausage, browned (you can also do 1/2 ground beef and 1/2 sausage)
- 1 (24 oz) jar marinara sauce
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (8 oz) pkg regular cream cheese, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 (8 oz) pkg sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 bag (4.5 oz) fresh spinach leaves
- 1 (16-19 oz) pkg frozen cheese tortellini
- shredded parmesan cheese, optional for topping
- Add sausage, marinara sauce, chicken broth, cream cheese, mushrooms, and spinach to your slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 hours, on high for 2-3.
- Then add frozen tortellini and cook on high for 15 minutes or until tender and hot.
- Serve topped with parmesan cheese if desired.
It is best to use full fat cream cheese in this recipe to get it to blend in well. Reduced fat or fat free and curdle.
Recipe adapted from Heather Likes Food.