I have kind of been on a pasta kick lately. I have been making all kinds of recipes using frozen ravioli and tortellini. This Slow Cooker Creamy Tortellini Soup is one of my latest discoveries and is one of my favorites. You make this simple soup in your slow cooker. I love it when I can let my slow cooker do most of the work for my dinner. Isn’t it the best?
I also love the combination of the creamy tomato soup base surrounding the cheese filled tortellini, spinach, mushrooms, and sausage. Another bonus is the soup only takes 7 ingredients to make. Hardest part is of making this slow cooker creamy tortellini soup is browning the sausage. You can even use a combination of ground beef and sausage if you’d like. I wouldn’t do all ground beef though. That sausage adds flavor to the soup.
FYI, for you locals I will be appearing today on Fresh Living at 1 pm on channel 2, so check out what I will be sharing in their kitchen.
- ITALIAN SAUSAGE (YOU CAN ALSO DO 1/2 GROUND BEEF AND 1/2 SAUSAGE)
- MARINARA SAUCE
- CHICKEN BROTH
- REGULAR CREAM CHEESE
- FRESH MUSHROOMS
- FRESH SPINACH LEAVES
- FROZEN CHEESE TORTELLINI
- PARMESAN CHEESE, OPTIONAL FOR TOPPING
- 1 lb Italian sausage, browned (you can also do 1/2 ground beef and 1/2 sausage)
- 1 (24 oz) jar marinara sauce
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (8 oz) pkg regular cream cheese, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 (8 oz) pkg sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 bag (4.5 oz) fresh spinach leaves
- 1 (16-19 oz) pkg frozen cheese tortellini
- shredded parmesan cheese, optional for topping
- Add sausage, marinara sauce, chicken broth, cream cheese, mushrooms, and spinach to your slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 hours, on high for 2-3.
- Then add frozen tortellini and cook on high for 15 minutes or until tender and hot.
- Serve topped with parmesan cheese if desired.
It is best to use full fat cream cheese in this recipe to get it to blend in well. Reduced fat or fat free and curdle.
Recipe adapted from Heather Likes Food.