Lately, I have been using my slow cooker at least twice a week for meals. As a result, I have been testing and trying a lot of new recipes including this slow cooker beef and barley soup. Soups is one thing that is great to make in the slow cooker. It just so happens, without planning it, I have shared 3 soup recipes in a row this week. So I guess I have soup on the brain.
This soup is another nice and hearty one. It includes chunks of beef along with barley – a great grain that can make your meal more filling while also adding nutrition. Of course, there is some tasty veggies in it too.
- 1 lb. stew meat
- 2 tsp McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 potatoes, cubed and peeled
- 1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1 Tbsp parsley
- 4 C beef broth
- 1 Tbsp white sugar
- 2 (15 oz) cans crushed tomatoes
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1 /2 cup quick cooking barley
- Season meat with steak seasoning. Brown meat in a skillet with the olive oil.
- Place meat in slow cooker and combine with carrots, celery, onion, potatoes, worcestershire sauce, garlic, oregano, basil, thyme, parsley, beef broth, sugar, tomatoes, salt, and pepper.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- One hour before serving mix in barley, turn to high and cook until barley is tender.
Recipe adapted from Your Home Based Mom.