This post may contain affiliate links.
My family loves Mexican food, but they also love bbq chicken. I recently decided to make a combination of the two and came up with these easy slow cooked bbq chicken tacos. It is all that you would expect from a delicious bbq chicken sandwich, just placed on a tortilla instead of a bun.
The chicken is all cooked in the slow cooker and is coated with a luscious bbq sauce that includes apricot preserves. The sauce is sweet and spicy! We personally like to have some sort of slaw on our bbq sandwiches. So I also gave the slaw for these tacos a Mexican flair by adding lime juice and fresh cilantro.
This turned out great and makes a delicious summer meal. The use of the slow cooker is always good for summer!
- BONELESS SKINLESS CHICKEN THIGHS
- APRICOT PRESERVES
- BROWN SUGAR
- BBQ SAUCE
- CIDER VINEGAR
- WORCHESTERSHIRE SAUCE
- RED PEPPER FLAKES
- SALT AND PEPPER
- WHIPPING CREAM
- WHITE VINEGAR
- CAYENNE PEPPER
- LIME JUICE
- COLESLAW MIX
- CORN TORTILLAS
Slow Cooked BBQ Chicken Tacos with Cilantro Slaw
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup apricot preserves (I used Smucker’s Costal Valley Peach Apricot Preserves)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup bbq sauce
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Worchestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- Cilantro Slaw
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 bunch chopped cilantro
- 1 (14 oz) bag cole slaw mix
- 16 heated corn tortillas
- Place chicken in a crock pot and top with onion slices.
- In a bowl, combine the apricot preserves, brown sugar, bbq sauce,
- vinegar,Worcestershire sauce, and 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes. Pour mixture over chicken.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- About 20 minutes before serving, remove chicken and shred. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine water and cornstarch until blended. Pour cornstarch mixture into remaining juices in the slow cooker. Then mix in ginger, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes or until thickened. Return chicken to crock pot and toss to coat in the thickened sauce.
- Prepare coleslaw – mix whipping cream, mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and lime juice until smooth.
- Toss coleslaw mix and cilantro with the mixture until coated.
- Serve chicken on corn tortillas topped with the coleslaw. Serves 8.
BBQ chicken adapted from New South Food Company and Cilantro Slaw adapted from The Pioneer Woman.
Glad to see you adapted the recipe to suit your tastes! Great combination and will have to try this one out next time I make this.
Love the idea of two flavors meshing. Why haven’t I thought of this before. I’m so doing this on the next taco night! So glad you shared this.
This looks delicious. I like the combination of the BBQ chicken and the cilantro slaw. I’m going to have to try this soon.