You only need a few ingrdients to have this simple skillet tamale pie. It’s all made in oven skillet. It all get cooked on the stove top.
What You Need
Only 8-9 ingredeints are need for thie quick dinner. The base is made from beef, beans, taco seasoning, tomato sauce , and water. The next layer is made from a corn muffin mix. You just prepare it according to the package directions and place spoonfuls of the batter over the meat base.
After the muffin layer is cook, you spinkle with shredded cheese and diced green onion. Finally, cover the skillet until the cheese is melted or you can place it in the oven under the broiler until bubbly. If you go for the oven option, just be sure to use a oven safe skillet. To serve, you just cut it into wedges and garnish with sour cream if desired. It’s that easy. This is definitely a fun change from serving regular tacos.
Simple Skillet Tamale Pie
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 pkg taco seasoning
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 14 oz can kidney beans, undrained
- ¾ cup water
- 1 8 oz pkg corn muffin mix
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- sour cream optional for garnish
- In a large skillet, over medium heat break up and brown ground beef. Drain fat.
- Add in the pkg of taco seasoning, tomato sauce, beans and water. Stir to combine. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare corn muffin mix according to package directions. Drop small spoonfuls of batter over meat mixture in the skillet. Cover. Cook on low heat 15 minutes or until corn bread fully cooked.
- Sprinkle with cheese and green onions. Cover. Cook on low heat until cheese is melted of place in the oven under the broiler to melt the cheese until bubbly. Serves 4-6.
Recipe adapted from McCormick.