There is no meat this creamy vegetable tortellini soup but you won’t miss it. This is creamy and dreamy pure comfort food!
This soup is full of veggies including carrots, peas, broccoli, onions, and spinach. Then, you add in that cheese filled tortellini. Between the veggies and tortellini, this soup is plenty filling. As a result, you don’t miss that there is no meat in this at all.
Fresh Vs. Frozen Tortelinii
Fresh or frozen tortellini can be used in this recipe. However, you just want to make sure it gets fully cooked before you add in the creamy base. I tend to use frozen tortellini because it is usually less expensive than the fresh.
- 1–2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced carrot (approx. 4 carrots)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 2 cups grated white cheddar cheese
- 9 oz fresh or frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- In a large pot, heat 1-2 Tbsp of oil. Add in carrot and onion. Sauté for 5-8 minutes or until tender.
- Add garlic and saute until fragrant. Add in Italian seasoning and broth. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cover.
- While the veggies simmer, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and whisk tobether for 1 minute. Then slowly add milk and while whisking.
- Allow the milk to heat up and simmer, whisking as it thickens. Stir in heavy cream and season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and slowly add freshly grated cheddar cheese, stirring as it melts. Set aside.
- Add tortellini, frozen peas, and frozen chopped broccoli to the broth and remove from heat. Cook on medium heat until tortellini is cooked. Remove from heat and mix in the cream mixture and chopped spinach. Stir until well combined. Serves 6-8.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
This recipe is adapted from Peas and Crayons.