Everyone needs a good scalloped potato recipe and this simple cheesy scalloped potatoes is it. It doesn’t require making a sauce from scratch. All you need is a can of soup with a few extra ingredients mixed in.
The first thing you will need for this dish is potatoes. I like to use yukon gold potatoes. They are a potato that holds up well. Plus, it has a thin skin so it isn’t necessary to peel the potatoes. However, if you prefer to peel then, that is just fine.
The key to a scalloped potato dish is to thinly slice those potatoes. You can do it by hand, but I like to use a mandoline. It makes it much easier. Just be sure to use the safety guard or a kevlar glove when you use it. I personally like to use the kevlar glove.
Once the potatoes are sliced, they will need to take a quick bath in some boiling water. You just boil them for 3 minutes. During the last minute, you add in some sliced onion. This just helps to start the cooking process.
Next, is the sauce. Like I said, it begins with a can of cream of mushroom soup. Then you just need to whisk it together with some milk and garlic powder. Once you have the sauce, you just need some shredded sharp cheese. Now you are ready to assemble the dish.
You need a 11 x 7 inch baking pan to put this in. You also need to grease it. Then, you will spread just a little of the sauce mixture in the bottom of the pan. You just need enough to make a thin coat in the pan. Then, you are going to layer 1/2 of the potato/onion in the pan followed by half the sauce and half the cheese. Then, you repeat those layers one more time.
Last thing is to bake the dish. You bake it at 375 degrees for 45 to 55 minutes. You’ll want to get it all hot and bubbly. You also want that cheese to begin to brown. It is an amazing way to enjoy potatoes as a side dish.Print
- 2 pounds yellow potatoes
- 1 (10 3/4 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup milk
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Wash potatoes and cut into ¼″ thick slices (no need to peel unless you want to). Drop into boiling water for 3 minutes. During the last minute, add the sliced onions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl add the soup, milk, and garlic powder. Whisk together until well combined.
- Spread a little bit of the soup mixture in the bottom of a greased 11 x 7 inch baking dish. Layer half of the potatoes, half of the soup mixture, and half of the cheese. Repeat layers ending with cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 45-55 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Sides
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American