I love a chimichanga! It is basically a deep fried burrito! I love that exterior crispy tortilla. These easy baked chicken chimichangas don’t get fried. They get brushed with melted butter and baked in the oven. It gives you the results of deep frying without having to deep fry!
The filling for these chimichangas are similar to white chicken enchiladas. This chicken is combined with a simple cheesy white sauce that you make from scratch. The sauce begins like a regular white sauce with flour and butter. Then, you add in some chicken broth. Next, the creamy part of the sauce comes in, with the addition of sour cream, cream cheese, and Monterey jack cheese. The sauce also needs some cumin and green chilies for flavor.
Once the sauce is done, you mix it with some chicken. Now, the filling goes inside the flour tortillas. When you get all of those tortillas filled, it’s time to brush the tortillas with melted butter. Then, it’s time to bake them in order to get the crispy chimichanga exterior. They take about 15 minutes in the oven. Last, you serve these simple baked chicken chimichangas with a topping of shredded lettuce and salsa.Print
- White sauce:
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 Tbsp flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 oz cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 1/2 of a 4 oz can of green chilies
- 1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- For the chimichangas:
- 3 cups of cooked and diced or shredded chicken
- 6 medium flour tortillas
- 4 Tbsp butter, melted
- shredded lettuce and salsa for garnish
- Preheat to 400 degrees.
- Slowly whisk in the chicken broth a little at a time. Once all of the the chicken broth is added, bring it to a boil.
- Add in sour cream, cream cheese, green chillies, Monterey jack cheese, and cumin. Whisk until well combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Now make the chimichanga filling by mixing the white sauce with the chicken. Place 1/2 cup of the chicken mixture on center of each tortilla. Fold the sides, then the bottom side up, to cover the filling, roll over to create chimichangas. Place on a baking sheet.
- Brush each chimichangas with the melted butter and bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until golden color.
- To serve, top with shredded lettuce and salsa. Serves 6.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mexican
This recipe is adapted from Munchkin Time.