When I think of a po’boy sandwich, I always think of a shrimp version. I have even make a pork version before. However, I have never thought of a roast beef version until now. I have a recipe for amazing roast beef po’boy sandwiches for you today.
After a little research I found out that a A po’boy is a traditional sandwich from Louisiana. It almost always consists of meat, which is usually roast beef or fried seafood, often shrimp, crawfish, fish, oysters or crab. The meat is served on New Orleans French bread, known for its crisp crust and fluffy center.
To make this beef version, the roast cooks all day in the slow cooker along with some tasty seasonings. Once finshed, you remove the rooast and shred it. Add in some cornstarch to those juices in the slow cooker to thinken them up. The the meat goes back into that savory gravy.
The beef gets placed on a toasted french rool. Followed along with some pickled, tomato, mayonnaise, and lettuce. If you’d rather, you could even serve this meat over rice, noodles, or mashed potatoes. However, I love it on the sandwich. I love the contrast of the juicy beef with the toasted bun, along with the frech lettuce and tomato. The mayo adds some creaminess. The pickles add both tang and crunch to these roast beef po’boy sandwiches.Print
- 1 (2 to 3 lb) pot roast
- 4 Tbsp Cajun/Creole Seasoning (see note)
- 1 (0.87 oz) packet Brown Gravy Mix
- 1 (15 oz) beef broth
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 8 French bread rolls
- shredded lettuce
- tomato slices
- Cook on LOW for 8 to hours or on HIGH for about 4 1/2 hours. Remove roast from slow cooker and shred.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch with a little water. Whisk in cornstarch to thicken the cooking juices to make a gravy. Return meat to crockpot.
- To assemble po-boys: Split french bread in half and toast. Place meat on half of bread. Spread mayonnaise on other half of bread. Top with shredded lettuce, tomato slices and pickles. Serves 8.
I don’t use Cajun/Creole sasoning enough to buy it, so I make my own. Mix together:
- 5 tsp paprika
- 4 tsp salt, or to taste
- 4 tsp garlic powder
- 4 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Category: Beef
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Recipe is adapted from Plain Chicken.