Rice is one of those side dishes that is a staple to serve along side any Mexican main dish. This recipe today is a simple and quick Mexican rice.
Minute rice is what helps to make this so quick to make. It also uses finely diced onion and green pepper. I just give them a few whirls in my food processor and they are finely chopped and ready to go.
- 2 cups minute rice
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 1/2 cup finely diced green pepper
- 1 (14 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (10 1/2 oz) can beef consomme (can be found with the canned soups or with the broth at the grocery store)
- pepper to taste
- In a sauce pan, melt the butter then add in the rice, onion and green pepper. Saute until veggies are tender.
- Mix in the tomatoes, beef comsomme, and pepper. Cook over medium heat uncover for 5 minutes. turn off burner, but leave pan on burner. Cover pan and let sit for 10 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed in the rice. Serves 6.
Recipe adapted from The Essential Mormon Cookbook.