Today is another quick breakfast recipe for you. This one is a quick breakfast burrito. I have shared one before that you can make ahead and keep in the freezer then microwave in the morning. This recipe is one you just cook in the microwave. It is also fairly low in calories and can be adjusted by whatever kind of tortilla you choose to use. I figured mine up to 207 calories and eggs are a great source of protein.
I adapted this recipe from one I found in the Parade Magazine in my Sunday newspaper. It came from incredibleegg.com which estimates the cost of this at 58 cents. The thing that interested me most about this recipe is that you cook the egg in the tortilla. Below is my adaptation of the original recipe. I included two ways to cook it. I liked the idea of cooking in the tortilla but found that the edges of the tortilla got a little tough after the cooking process. I then decided to cook the egg in a bowl instead of the tortilla and I preferred that method more. However, both are there for you.
This is quick, delicious, and filling. It is also easy enough that your older children could make this themselves.
- 1 flour tortilla (6-inch)
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. shredded cheese blend
- 1 Tbsp. salsa
To cook in the tortilla:
- Place tortilla on a place and microwave for 5 seconds. Line a 2-cup microwave-safe cereal bowl with microwave-safe paper towel. Press the tortilla into bowl.
- Break the egg another bowl and beat with a fork until blended. Pour the egg into the tortilla. Add salt and pepper if desired.
- Microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds. Gently stir and microwave until egg is almost set, 15 to 30 seconds longer.
- Remove tortilla with paper towel liner from bowl to flat surface. Top egg with cheese and salsa. Fold bottom of tortilla over egg, then fold in sides.
MY preferred method on cooking the egg in the bowl:
- Place tortilla on a place and microwave for 10 seconds to soften.
- Spray a 2-cup microwave-safe cereal bowl with cooking spray. Break the egg into the bowl and beat with a fork until blended. Add salt and pepper if desired.
- Place bowl in the microwave and cook on HIGH for 30 seconds. Gently stir and microwave until egg is almost set for 15 to 30 seconds longer.
- Place egg on tortilla. Top egg with cheese and salsa. Fold bottom of tortilla over egg, then fold in sides.