Today’s pumpkin recipe is for drop pumpkin biscuits. Thinks biscuits with a touch of fall. They don’t really taste like pumpkin. The pumpkin adds tenderness and color.
In addition to the pumpkin, there are the fall spices of ginger, cinnamon, all spice, and nutmeg in the biscuits. They are perfect paired with a simple honey butter.
No need to roll and cut out these biscuits. You just trop this tender dough on the baking sheet by the spoonful.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, ginger, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg. Cut in the shortening until mixture is like coarse crumbs.
- Add in the buttermilk and pumpkin and mix with a spoon.
- Drop by the spoonful onto a large baking sheet.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes. Makes 12 biscuits.
Recipe adapted from The Southern Lady Cooks.