Pumpkin treats with cream cheese in some form is a common fall combination. Today, I am taking that combination into a recipe for pumpkin churros with cream cheese dip. It’s a great new way to enjoy that classic fall combination.
First, you have a classic churro recipe where pumpkin replaces some of the fat in the recipe to make a pumpkin version. You use water, pumpkin, butter, pumpkin spice, and vanilla for the base of the pate choux dough. Once that is boiling it’s time to mix in the flour. Once that cools for 10 minutes, you mix in 3 eggs one at a time. This really is the hardest part of making the dough. You have to use some elbow grease to mix those eggs in there.
Now you are ready to pipe the dough into some hot oil and get those churros going. Now, I use a large French tip from my cupcake decorating tips to pipe the churros. It gives you those raised bumps that you see in a traditional churro.
After you cook these, you roll them in a traditional mixture of cinnamon and sugar. Now this is where the cream cheese comes in. Next, you made a simple dip of cream cheese, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and a little milk. It makes the perfect dipping sauce for these pumpkin churros. There you have it, pumpkin churros with cream cheese dip. It will be a new fall favorite.Print
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- For the dip:
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- splash of vanilla
- up to 1/4 cup milk
- Heat oil for frying in a 4-quart heavy sauce pan or deep-fat fryer to 350 degrees.
- In a 2 qt sauce pan, combine water, pumpkin, butter, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla. Bring mixture to a boil. Add flour all at once, stirring vigorously with a wooden spoon until dough forms a ball. Remove from heat. Cool mixture for 10 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, stirring well after each addition.
- Spoon dough into a pastry or large resealable bag fitted with a large star or French decorating tip. Pipe 3-inch lengths of dough, 5 at a time, into hot oil. Fry for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden, turning once. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- In a bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon. While warm, toss churros in sugar/cinnamon mixture.
- To make the dip, blend the cream cheese, both sugars, and vanilla together with a hand mixture until smooth. Mix in enough milk to make a dipable consistency. Serve with warm churros. Serves 6.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
This recipe is adapted from Hy-Vee.