Kids love chicken and I have found most kids like pineapple. This Pineapple Chicken Lo Mein incorporates both and should be a kid pleaser. The ingredient list may look a little long, but don’t let that scare you. It is very quick and easy to put together. Plus, the ingredients aren’t complicated.
It all begins with cooking some chunks of chicken breast in a skillet with some oil, garlic, and ginger. You cook it until the chicken is fully cooked. The chicken gets all happy while cooking with ginger and garlic.
Next is where the veggies and pineapple chunks come in. You add in the carrots, green pepper, and pineapple. Then you just let it cook for a few minutes to get the veggies tender.
Now it’s time for the sauce mixture. This consists of juice from the can of pineapple along with some cornstarch and soy sauce. You add it to the skillet and cook if for a few minutes until thick.
To finish this pineapple chicken lo mein off, you add in the teriyaki sauce, cooked pasta and green onion. It’s that easy. This was a fun dish for the family.
- 3 Tbsp canola oil, divided
- 1 lb. boneless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp crushed ginger or 1 1/2 tsp dry ground ginger
- 2 medium carrots, julienned
- 1 green pepper, julienned
- 1 (20 oz) can pineapple chunks, drain and reserve 1/3 cup of juice
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup teriyaki sauce (I used Soy Vay Very Very Teriyaki)
- 8 oz thin spaghetti, cooked and drained
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 2 Tbsp of the oil along with chicken, garlic, and ginger. Cook until chicken is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots, green pepper, and pineapple to the skillet. Stir to combine and cover. Cook for 2-3 more minutes until vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch, soy sauce, and reserved pineapple juice.
- Add the cornstarch mixture slowly to the skillet while stirring.Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Then add the teriyaki sauce, spaghetti and green onion to the skillet. Toss to coat. Serves 4-6.
Recipe adapted from Food of Love Mmm.