With Valentine’s Day around the corner, I wanted to try this recipe for Perfect Cake Mix Cupcakes. I found the recipe on a blog called In the Wabe. She got the recipe from a book called Hello, Cupcake.
These cupcakes definitely turned out prettier than what they usually look like from a box mix. They had a good rounded top. I chose to use a devil’s food cake mix, you need chocolate for Valentines Day! I was only able to get 22 cupcakes from my mix with the changes.
Also, I found it hard to believe the cupcakes would be ready in 12 minutes. I thought 12-20 minutes on the recipe was a very broad cooking time. My box mix said 17 to 22 minutes. So I set my timer for 15 minutes, which was a bad decision. I think they got over cooked slightly, so make sure to check those cupcakes at 12 minutes.
I didn’t have buttermilk in my house either. So I substituted sour milk (1 Tbsp lemon juice or vinegar the add enough milk to make 1 cup, mix, and let it sit for 5 minutes). Tomorrow, I’ll share a fun frosting recipe that I made to go on top of these cupcakes and it’s pink.
Perfect Cake Mix Cupcakes
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 box 18.25 oz cake mix (vanilla, devil’s food, or yellow)
- 1 cup buttermilk in place of water called for on the box
- Vegetable oil same as the amount on the box
- 4 eggs in place of the number called for on the box
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line muffin cups with paper liners.
- Follow the box instructions, putting all the ingredients in a large bowl and using the buttermilk in place of the water specified on the box, using the amount of vegetable oil that is called for, and adding the eggs. Beet with an electric mixer until moistened, about 30 seconds. Increase the speed to high and beat until thick, 2 minutes longer
- Fill paper liners two-thirds full. Bake 12 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Cool completely before icing. Makes 22-24 cupcakes.
This is the original photo from this post. The above photo was updated in February 2015.