Buttermilk milk has been a great ingredient to include in items such pancakes and waffles. Why not include this ingredient in dinner rolls too? This whole idea made me excited to give these one hour buttermilk rolls recipe a try.
When it comes to buttermilk in pancakes or waffles, it usually adds nice tenderness to the texture. It can also add a little bit of a tang to the flavor. I figured it would give similar results if it was used in a dinner roll. It absolutely did just that.
These one hour buttermilk rolls were so soft and tender. There is also just an ever so slight tang to the roll. I love to eat these rolls with homemade jam. The sweet jam compliments that slight tang in these rolls so well.
One thing that suprised me is these rolls turn brown so perfectly. I think the buttermilk just may be why these rolls brown so beautifully. The looked so perfectly golden brown when I pulled them out of the oven.
- RAPID RISE YEAST
One Hour Buttermilk Rolls
Real Mom Kitchen
- 4 Tbsp butter cut into slices
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup water
- 4 cups flour divided
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp rapid rise yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat over to warm, 170 degrees.
- Place butter, buttermilk and water into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave until butter is mostly melted and the liquid reaches 115-120 degrees. Mixture will separate, don't worry. Add to the bowl of stand mixer. Attatch the dough hook.
- Add in 3 cups of the flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Turn on low speed and mix until combined. With remaining 1 cup of flour, add a little at a time until the dough cleans sides of bowl. Usually, 1/2 cup of the flour during this step.
- Allow dough knead on medium low for 4-5 minutes. Transfer dough to a countertop sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Divide dough into two equal pieces. Then cut each piece into 6 pieces. Roll each piece into a round ball. Place into a lightly greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish(s), placing 1/2 inch apart. Turn oven to off and place rolls in the warm oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove rolls from oven and preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly brush tops of rolls with melted butter. Place rolls in the 375degree oven and bake for 12-14 minutes, until golden brown on top. Brush with additional melted butter if desired and serve. For best results serve warm. Makes 1 dozen rolls.
This recipe is adapted from Picky Palate.