Whether or are just looking for a way to fulfill a chocolate craving or a sweet treat to make for Valentine’s day, theses one bowl fudgy brownies are it! These are like the fudgy brownies you can get from a box mix, but even better.
This brownie uses 3 types of chocolate. You have unsweetened chocolate and unsweetened cocoa powder that make up the batter. Boiling water is added to the unsweetened chocolate to melt it. Then you whisk in in cocoa powder. Then you also have semisweet chocolate chips folded into the batter. You could also add in some nuts if desired.
For the fat used in these one bowl fudgy brownies there is actually 2 kinds. There is canola and butter. For a cake brownie, butter is a better option because it helps rise the batter. For denser, fudge type brownies, oil can be used. Since this version has both, you get fudginess with a rise with this batter.
There is one other part of this recipe that is different from your typical brownie recipe. It uses 2 eggs and 2 egg yolks. It’s wat creates the delicious fudginess. The yolks add to the moisture in these.
- BOILING WATER
- UNSWEETENED CHOCOLATE
- UNSWEETENED COCOA POWDER
- CANOLA OIL
- SEMISWEET CHOCOLATE CHIPS
- ½ cup boiling water
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 ⅓ cups sugar
- ½ cup canola oil
- 4 Tbsp butter, melted
- 2 eggs + 2 egg yolks
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9X13-inch metal pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Add the sugar, oil, butter, eggs and vanilla. Mix together combined.
- Add the flour and salt. Mix until just combined and no white streaks remain. Fold in the chocolate chips (don’t overmix).
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes until crackly on top and set around the sides. Cool completely (and chill, if desired – makes cutting easier). Cut with a plastic knife for clean cutting. If desired, dust with powdered sugar to serve. Serves 24.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Bars and Brownies
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
This recipe is adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe.