I have a healthy weight loss soup to share with all of you. It is low fat, low calorie, and can be made vegetarian if needed. I am using this soup on my current weight loss journey. I started at the beginning of January.
Many years ago I did Weight Watchers, now known as WW. I was able to loose the weight I desired. Then about 3 years ago, I worked on weight loss again. That time I did a program that was high intense exercise and a low carb, low fab diet. I lost about 40 pounds doing that program.
Right after completing my program, my dad passed away from pancreatic cancer. After that, I was emotional eating and just trying to survive daily life. All the weight I had loss, slowly crept back. And to be honest, at the time, I didn’t really care. Fast forward to 2 1/2 years later and I was ready to work on weight loss again. I feel much healthier and energetic when I am at a healthier weight.
So at the beginning of 2022, I joined WW to begin my new weight loss journey.
Next, I on was on the hunt for recipes that could help me out. I found this great weight loss soup recipe over at Family Favorite Recipes. They use this soup recipe is several ways. However, I was wanting to use it as part of my meals as a low calorie and vegetable packed meal.
For my WW personal points, this soup is 2 points and I also earn a point for the day by having a serving of non starchy vegetables. I just make a batch of this in my slow cooker and provides me with 9-10 servings. I have been eating it for lunch because there is no way my husband or daughter would eat this for dinner. So far I have been able to loose 10 pounds on WW with this soup as part of my meal plan.
The base of the soup is made with vegetable juice and broth. I used chicken broth, but you can use vegetable broth if you want it to be vegetarian. Next time, I do think I am going to try to make this with spicy vegetable juice. I love the flavor but would love it to be a little more intense. I think the spicy vegetable juice will do this.
Now this healthy weight loss soup uses onion, mushrooms, carrots, zucchini, yellow squash, green beans, and cabbage. There is also some kidney beans in there for protein. There is also some Italian diced tomatoes and Italian seasoning.
- CHICKEN BROTH OR VEGETABLE BROTH
- V-8 JUICE
- ITALIAN DICED TOMATOES
- YELLOW SQUASH
- GREEN BEANS FRESH OR FROZEN
- CANNED KIDNEY BEANS DRAINED AND RINSED
- ITALIAN SEASONING
- SALT AND PEPPER
Click here to calculate your WW Personal Points for this recipe.
- 4 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 3 cups V-8 juice
- 1 (28 oz) can Italian diced tomatoes
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 zucchini, cut into half circles
- 1 yellow squash, cut into half circles
- 2 cups green beans fresh or frozen
- 1 (14 oz) can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 3–4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large non stick frying pan, sauté onion, carrots, and mushrooms for about 5 minutes. You can add some water to the pan. This way you can avoid using any type of fat. Add in the garlic and sauté for a minute.
- In a large crockpot, add the ingredients from the skillet with the remaining ingredients. Cook on high for 2-3 hours, or until vegetables are tender.
This soup freezes well. To thaw, place in the fridge for 24 hours and then reheat.
Recipe adapted from Family Favorite Recipes.